Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Make the best use of the Study-Abroad Handout

http://www.isc.sdsu.edu/study_abroad/forms/studenthandbook2009-10.pdf
We'll go over some of the checklists and tips in class, for example:
Page 30: The pre-departure checklist
One important thing to think about: Save money on your car insurance while away.
Whenever I go away for more than 2 months, I keep my car registration, file an Affidavit of No-Use to the DMV (fax is acceptable), and then Suspend my insurance (with comprehensive coverage still in place).
Before returning to the U.S., I go online and reactivate my car insurance. I don't remember filing any forms with DMV, to start using my car. The insurance company will send your renewed info. to DMV and that seems taking care of it.
"If your vehicle is currently registered and you decide not to use it, you must maintain insurance or notify DMV that you will not be using it by completing an Affidavit of Non Use. Upon receipt of an Affidavit of Non Use, DMV will cancel the registration. The vehicle cannot be operated on a California highway until proof of insurance is received by the department, a reinstatement fee is not due when the registration is cancelled."

No comments:

Post a Comment